Vijaysar is a plant drug used in Ayurvedic medicine. It is scientifically known as Pterocarpus marsupium and belongs to the Fabaceae family. This plant grows naturally in India, Srilanka, and Nepal.1 It has been used for thousands of years for managing various disease conditions.
Vijaysar has various nutrients and chemical compounds like carbohydrates, fats, flavonoids, glycosides, alkaloids, saponins and tannins. It is also high in polyphenolic compounds (micronutrients that occur in plants).
Vijaysar has various helpful properties like:
- It may show antibacterial property
- It may show anti-cancer property
- It may show liver-protective activity
- It may help with cataracts
- It may help reduce blood lipids1
- It may show memory-enhancing potential
- It may show antidiarrhoeal property3
- It may help reduce fever
- It may show anti-helminthic (used to destroy parasitic worms) property
- It may show antioxidant property
- It may show anti-inflammatory potential4
- It may show the immunomodulatory (a substance that affects the functioning of the immune system) potential
- It may show antidiabetic activity